Sunday, July 8, 2007

Day Four

Tuesday June 26, 2007 - Day 4

Greetings from the trail,

It's just after 6:00pm and I'm in my tent after eating supper. I had a delicious cream of broccoli soup. mmmmm .... soup.

Today's campsite isn't as scenic as yesterday, but it is still nothing to scoff at. The sites here are more hidden among the trees. I like that.

I hiked over 19 km today, just about hit that 20 km mark. My spirit is willing, but my body and feet are sore. I'd gladly do over 30 km/day if my feet could keep up. I've developed blisters on both my pinky toes. If they continue to cause me problems I may have to delay.

My mind has been struggling to comprehend the reality of the remaining challenge in front of me. I've walked over 70 km, but that pales in comparison to the approximately 1200 km total. I was looking through my map book and noticed that for each detailed map, I've been able to cover its distance in one day. Counting the number of maps I find there are 64 detail maps to Vancouver. This means 4 down and 60 to go. I'm done 1/16th of the trail by this measurement. wOOt! Huzzah! And other exclamations of joy and satisfaction!

I'm looking forward to stopping in town tomorrow for a restaurant meal and a Pepsi. I miss it so !!). I'll also call some family from town.

I think the next week is where I'll discover if I'll overcome adversity, or break down from trying too hard.

I should mail these entries tomorrow from Elkford. After that, it's on to Sparwood and Fernie.

See you on the trail,
Joshua Ganes

No comments: