Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday June 29, 2007 Day 7

Greetings from the trail,

Yesterday evening was great, but this morning effectively killed it.

Yesterday I took what I declare, without reservation, "the best shower of my life." After almost a full week on the hot and dusty trail, it was so nice to feel clean again. The showers at the camp were very spacious, and the temperature and pressure were easy to adjust. Each sore muscle seemed to relax instantly at the feel of the flowing, warm water. I washed every part of my body twice over because I didn't want it to end. .... Magic!!

This morning the trouble stated, I woke up with a headache and felt a little off. Everything I did seemed to take twice as long as usual. I got on the road and noticed the highway sign said 9 kms longer than my estimate. I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it.

Water had been common along the way, so I never carried more than 2 L 'cause I could always fill up later. When I realized that i was quickly running through my supply despite the light rain(fun times) I was hopeful to find more. When I reached a rest stop/picnic area at the side of the highway, I was hopeful I might find a clean source there. I spotted a hand pump well which looked clean and well maintained but after a minute of pumping, I figured it was broken or just for show. Instead, I wound up hiking 3/4 of a km in and out to the Elk river to get more.

By the time I reached Hosmer I was hurting with every step. When I saw a sign for an RV campground I dragged myself over to register. For my money I got a flat spot between some RVs, none too far from the highway. The one nice thing was a small mobile unit with a bathroom and showers.

Now I'm hiding in my tent from the sudden heat of the afternoon. Unfortunately, my tent is more like a green house with nice flow through. I'll probably go to the bathroom soon and use the cold water faucets to cool down.

See you on the trail,
Joshua Ganes

No comments: