Friday, July 13, 2007

Tuesday July 3, 2007 Day 11

Greetings from the trail,

This morning I saw some breath taking views. I had a bit of a climb yo start my day, and made it a reasonable distance up the side of the eastern mountains on the side of the valley. From there I had some great views of the mountains to the west and the Elk river below.

After the path came back down the mountain later in the day, I became a victim of a mosquito ambush. I hadn't seen many bugs all day, when I was suddenly stormed by several dozen at once. I was taking down 2 with one swat, but they simply out numbered me and many of them got away. I've never seen anything quite like it, and hope to avoid it in the future.

After that, I made my way to Elko where I was incredibly hot, so I visited the convenience store for one of the best lemonades ever! That was not enough though, so I bought a large slush and drank it on a bench in the shade.

I went back down by the Elk river and set up camp in a space by the old wooden bridge that crosses the river there. I went down to the river to cool my feet, and a young woman showed up with a pair of black labs to play fetch. I soaked my feet and chatted casually while watching the dogs chase the stick into the river repeatedly. It was a nice way to spend a hot afternoon.

See you on the trail,
Joshua Ganes

No comments: