Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tuesday July 10, 2007 - Day 18

Greetings from the trail,

I'm happy to report that today for the first time since Day 1, I actually walked on an actual trail. After a few kms along a gravel road, the trail broke off from the road and ran through the open country side.

The only problem with this was that it lead to a few extra mosquitoes. The trail wound its way around and went up and down some significant slopes. It seems that it it has not been maintained recently as I had to climb over, under, and around several fallen trees. After some time, the trail came to a picnic table at the top of a grassy hill. You could see mountains and hills for miles in all directions. Certainly a sight to behold.

A short while after that the trail joined an abandoned CP Rail line that brought me the final 7 kms into Cranbrook. It was nice to follow the rail grade as I knew the slopes would not be too severe. Trains don't like hills.

I'm staying in a hotel tonight. It's nice to get a little taste of civilization. I was surprised to see some of the large hotel chains are charging over $120. per night. Ouch!! This place is decent and has everything I want at a much more reasonable rate.

See you on the trail,
Joshua Ganes

No comments: