Sunday, August 5, 2007

Mon July 23, 2007 - Day 31

Greetings from the trail,

As I mentioned yesterday, today was a big hike. I decided to get going as early as possible and was on the road at 4:50am. It was a good idea with such a hot day and more climbing than I expected. I couldn't tell you why the road climbed so high above the reservoir, it seemed totally unnecessary.

After climbing up and out and back down to the highway, I was still left with several kilometers into Trail along the highway. As I passed the industrial area south of town a flashing sign reported the time and temperature: 8:36am, 26 degrees Celsius. It was then that I knew I was in for a really hot day.

After a while I got into a more populated area. The first shopping place I saw was a Wal-Mart. I was getting hot, so I sat in the store's shade drinking 35 cent Wal-Mart pop. I finished off 3 for a total of $1.05. I love cheap pop! I then went inside and found some food and, more importantly, a copy of Harry Potter.

I completed my hike into Trail and stopped for lunch in McDonald's where I called the Lyttles. As I couldn't reach them right away, I decided to find a nice spot to read my new book.

Later in the day Pam called me and arranged to take me to their place for the night. While I was waiting for her to pick me up, I saw another flashing time and temperature sign: 3:34pm, 41 degrees Celsius. Never before have I seen a temperature in the 40s without a minus sign in front. I hope never to see either again.

I went to the Lyttle's place and talked and had supper. Later I watch a little news on their TV and grabbed a refreshing, cool shower. I'm off to bed now, probably to read a couple of chapter of Harry Potter first.

See you on the trail,

Joshua Ganes

No comments: