Friday, August 31, 2007

Monday, August 20, 2007 - Day 47

Greetings from the trail,

Good news - I did not pass the hidden campsite this morning. Instead, I quickly made my way to a large trestle, which I anticipated being 2-3km down the road. It was quite a sight standing on a tall trestle while peering over the forested valley below.

Today's route provided views of forested areas, fire ravaged areas, and views of Kelowna and Lake Okanagan. It continued on about 17km before reaching Chute Lake.

I stopped in at the Chute Lake resort for a burger and fries. It's always nice to get regular food after several days on the trail. While there, I chatted with the cook and a group of older people about my trip. They all wished me luck as I started on my way.

After another km or two, I finally reached the only shortcut I'd identified before the trip. This was obvious as the trail takes a long switchback route south before coming all the way back north about 3km away. Instead, I followed Chute Lake road down for just over 3km and saved myself about 12km of extra walking. The shortcut involved some steep downhill switchbacks, but was far better than wasting an extra day into Penticton.

After finding the trail again, I continued on for a short distance before setting up yet another bush camp. The nice thing about it is the cost. The problem is the lack of facilities and potential that I'm camping someplace I'm not supposed to.

I would take this morning's weather for the next month if I could have it. The sky was overcast and the air was cool. It really helps my energy levels to stay cool. This afternoon has turned to rain again, however.

All this rain is okay, but it makes the later part of the day pass slowly as I spend it hiding in my tent. 47 days of nothing but hiking, reading, writing, and thinking can cause one to exhaust his thinking resources.

See you on the trail,
Joshua Ganes

No comments: