Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sunday, August 19, 2007 - Day 46

Greetings from the trail,

Well, today is the first day I've been truly happy to have my rain jacket. It was raining lightly when I woke up and continued throughout my hiking day. At about 10:00am, the rain picked up to a steady downpour.

I completed the Myra Canyon bypass today. The bypass is due to the 2003 fire which burnt the trestles through Myra Canyon. The book describes that section as the highlight of the Okanagan region. From the brief glimpses I saw today I can see why. Perhaps I'll return when the trestles are rebuilt in a few years.

Unfortunately, the bypass route does not follow a rail grade. As such, I spent 15km climbing and descending hills. This certainly took a toll on my legs. The journey was pleasant with the cool air and mist. I truly enjoyed my trip today.

I continued on for an hour and a half after rejoining the rail grade on the opposite side of the canyon. I was aiming for an unnamed tenting site shown on my map. When I thought I'd passed it, I decided to camp in an open sandy area just off the trail. Knowing my luck I'll pass the tenting site 10 minutes down the road tomorrow. It doesn't really matter, however, as this is a fine spot and allows me everything I need except a washroom. It was nice to set up my tent and crawl into my sleeping bag to dry up and warm up.

See you on the trail,
Joshua Ganes

No comments: