Monday, August 6, 2007

Tue July 31, 2007 - Day 39

Greetings from the trail,

Long ago I predicted I'd cross from July to August in the town of Midway. Today (the 31st) I made it to Midway to prove myself a great prophetic prognosticator. Of course, I also added an extra 8km to my trip to make certain.

The trip was decent, but could have stood some extra shade along the later part of the day. All in all, the rail grade is holding up to most of my lofty expectations.

I met a couple of gentlemen in town who were biking from Kelowna to Castlegar. They seemed impressed by my ambitious trek. One of them, recognizing my Oilers hat, asked me what I know about Shawn Horcoff. It seems he knows the Horcoff family.

The other accomplishment of the day was to make plans for my return to Camrose for my sister's wedding. I will continue walking 4 days to Beaverdell where I will catch a Greyhound bus up to Kelowna to fly to Calgary on Sunday morning. My parents will be in Cowtown that weekend for my cousin Matt's renewal of wedding vows. They'll take me the rest of the way home.

I'm coming home slightly earlier than I wanted, but the difference of a couple more days on the trail would be hundreds of dollars more than my cheap flight. The tentative return plan it to drive with my parents as they visit BC for vacation. With over a week off, I hope I don't lose my groove.

As I crossed the Old Cascade Highway a few days back, I passed from the West Kootenay to the Boundary region. Midway is the border between the Boundary and Okanagan regions. With the Rocky Mountain region already complete, that makes 419 + 109 + 104 = 632km travelled so far according to my book.

See you on the trail,

Joshua Ganes

No comments: