Sunday, August 5, 2007

Wed July 18, 2007 - Day 26

Greetings from the trail,

I'll start with yesterday evening. My aunt showed up a little before 6:00pm and took me out to a nice dinner. I had streak, prawns, a baked potato, and vegetables. There may be something I'm forgetting. Anyhow, it was very good.

Better than the meal was the chance to visit with someone I know. I've had a lot of thoughts and experiences so far. It was nice to have someone to share them with. Thanks again Auntie Shirley!

I only walked ~13-14km today to the Summit Creek campsite. The guidebook said ti was a nice place to camp, but reminded me to bring the mosquito spray. They were right about one thing: there's lots of mosquitoes.

The camp is quite an eerie place. It appears to have been abandoned for several years. There are many structures that have fallen into disrepair. This included a fully plumbed bathroom that has been taken over by animals and what appears to be an old bridge crossing the creek. There's a rather imposing set of concrete steps leading up, with two large broken beams set in the top. At the back of the stairs are two sturdy-looking, metal eye-hooks. On the other side of the creek it appears to have a twin. I can only assume this was once a cable bridge over the creek.

Anyhow, it's warm here and tomorrow I start up the "Kootenay Pass." The forecast is cooler for tomorrow. I hope it holds true.

See you on the trail,

Joshua Ganes

No comments: