Sunday, August 5, 2007

Mon July 16, 2007 - Day 24

Greetings from the trail,

Today I completed the 5-day trek from Cranbrook to Creston. 4 of those days went along highway 3. As best as I can figure, that's about 105km in 5 days. I'm pretty satisfied with myself today.

I'm staying at the Snoring Sasquatch Hostel today and it's still early in the day. I'm not sure what I'll do this evening - maybe I'll catch a movie at the local theatre.

I saw some fantastic views today as the highway climbed over the Goat River valley. The mountains here are covered by trees and, therefore, a little less spectacular than those at the start of the trip. Nonetheless, they are fantastic when you enter a narrow valley enclosed on all sides.

I was thinking today that I did not stress enough about the severity of the wind storm earlier in my trip by the town of Hosmer, just north of Fernie. People I've met have asked me about it for over a week following. Right through to Cranbrook, I've seen an abundance of freshly fallen trees. I can only assume they are a result of the storm. I hope nothing of the sort happens again while I'm out here.

I was also thinking today about the people I've seen more than once out here. There was the taxi driver I met north of Elkford who later spotted me in Sparwood. There was a truck driver who offered me a ride on day 3 or 4 and later stopped to ask me about my trip near Elko. There was the lady who I asked for a drink by Wapiti Lake. The next day she stopped to chat briefly half way to Bull River. There was a gentleman who simply said hello by Moyie Lake and then came to ask me about my trip at Yahk. The strangest of all may be the park attendant I discussed directions with at Moyie Lake Provincial Park. Two days later his wife, an attendant at Yahk Provincial Park, came and talked to me about my journey. It's quite amazing the way things go. I wonder how many more I'll meet along the way.

See you on the trail,

Joshua Ganes

No comments: