Monday, August 6, 2007

Sun July 29, 2007 - Day 37

Greetings from the trail,

As Futurama's Professor Farnsworth would say, "'Huzzah's are in order." After a short walk beside the highway, I finally reached the Kettle Valley Rail Trail. This long stretch of abandoned railway will be my home for the majority of the remaining journey.

The abandoned rail line is simply a gravel right-of-way winding through the countryside. Occasionally there's a detour into a city or onto a road, but over 90% of the time it's just the rail grade. This is great as I no longer need to dodge cars. I also know that I need not fear steep grades. As I said previously, trains don't like hills.

All that being said, there's one thing I didn't like about today's path: it did not have much shade. It was just a path through wide open fields for much of the day. I hope that changes in the days to come.

I'm camping at the municipal campground in Grand Forks. It's not the greatest spot, but there's plenty of large trees nearby to hide under.

I was hoping to get a decent restaurant lunch today, but found that most places in the city center were closed. It was nice to see a town that is calm enough to close down on Sunday. It was, unfortunately, also inconvenient.

See you on the trail,

Joshua Ganes

No comments: