Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sat September 1, 2007 - Day 59

Greetings from the trail,

Today brought some interesting and unexpected challenges. As such, I didn't make it quite as far as I expected. Perhaps that's for the best in light of my desire to finish on the 15th.

The first challenge came when the TCT signs suddenly stopped at a fork in the road with a "No Trespassing" sign in the middle of the fork. After passing a couple of gates, the signs started again. I like walking through unnoticed.

Shortly after that challenge I found a better one. After following the trail signs, a new sign pointed across the highway. It seems the trail is incomplete there, so I forded the river and climbed through the woods to the road on the other side. Fording the river was a challenge, but the real danger came in climbing the opposite bank. I nearly injured myself when my foothold rock came loose and crashed into the river below.

After finding the road on the other side, the rest of the day was easy. I made it to the Othello Tunnels campground where I had a hot shower and a chance to be civilized for a change. It's nice to feel comfortable for a change.

I was later joined by my cousins and aunt who are in the area visiting family and friends. That was an unexpected treat. Aaron and his girlfriend Jenny are planning to join me tomorrow for a while.

Lastly, I was camped next to a very generous and kind-hearted lady who offered me food and company without even a request. I really appreciated all she had to offer.

See you on the trail,

Joshua Ganes

No comments: