Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Tuesday August 21, 2007 - Day 48

Greetings from the trail,

Penticton - Home of the 25th Canadian Ironman competition. Yes, today I reached Penticton. After discovering that the only available campsite was 5km south ( I needed to go north next), I decided to stay at the hostel. It's quite nice and not overly busy.

To reach the hostel was a considerable, but downhill, hike. After about 3km, the trail broke out of the trees and had a great view of Okanagan Lake. Shortly later I passed through "Little Tunnel." The trail continued beside the lake much of the way into town.

Nearing the city the path wound its way through orchards and vineyards. It was quite interesting to see work going on in the fields. I saw workers picking fruit, machines spraying vines, and irrigation at work. The oddest thing I saw was two workers seated in the bucket of a small tractor, trimming the tops of the vines as the tractor moved down the rows.

This is probably the busiest section of trail I've walked so far. It appears that many people like to walk or bike it for day trips.

It's nice to get into town for some real food. Subway sure is tasty, but expensive too. Oh well, a very good meal just the same.

See you on the trail,
Joshua Ganes

No comments: