Thursday, September 6, 2007

Sunday August 26, 2007 - Day 53

Greetings from the trail,

Today was yet another pleasantly cool day on the trail. Other than a few light sprinklings of rain it was nearly perfect.

I began by winding my way down the " Jura Loops", which is simply a tight set of switchbacks down the hillside. Today's hike seemed easier than normal. I only stopped once on my way to Princeton (17km).

In Princeton I grabbed a bite to eat at Subway, which is in the old station house. I then went to resupply for the week to come. I intended to send my journal entries before realizing it was Sunday. I'll try again tomorrow in Tullameen.

On the way out of Princeton I passed through a long lit tunnel under highway 3, then over the Tullameen river on a bridge. From there I continued a few kms along the river to my camp for tonight.

The river is very clear and cool, but not too deep. It runs through a very beautiful canyon with rich red cliff walls. I saw fit to rinse some laundry for the first time in this half of the trip. Standing in the cold water for so long may not have been the best idea. At least I'm not hot.

I'm not certain how exact it is, but I believe Princeton is 2/3 rds of the total distance. That leaves "only" half of everything I've done so far.

I am now about to enter what I expect to be the most interesting section for the remainder of the trail. I head north a couple of days before crossing the Coquihalla summit and walking parallel to the highway into Hope in a few more days. I expect to see some fantastic views, but am a little concerned about the potential for wild weather.

See you on the trail,
Joshua Ganes

No comments: