Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thu August 30, 2007 - Day 57

Greetings from the trail,

Today's hike started off with an interesting challenge. There was a spot ~2km down the road where the trail had been washed out by the river and a new trail was built to climb up and around the washout. After climbing the particularly steep trail for a while, it suddenly stopped. Apparently the new trail had been washed out as well. There I was ~20-30m above a steep bank, scrambling across the loose rocks. After all was said and done I felt pretty good about it, but I'd rather not repeat it. Later at a second washout, the builders had the sense to go down instead of up.

After that section, the trail crossed back over the Coquihalla and travelled near to it between the river and the animal fencing. This section was enjoyable except when meeting the occasional cow standing in my way. I wouldn't have guessed there would be cows around there.

I reached the Britton Creek rest area thinking I'd just find a restroom. Instead I found many cars with lots of picnic tables and a snack shack. I was glad for the chance to buy some food.

After that, I arrived at the section I'd been concerned about for a while. The Trans Mountain Pipeline Road was listed as a future route in the book, with no other option but the highway, which is not open to hikers. My online update told me it was now open. When I reached the gate blocking the road, there were two conflicting signs. I chose to believe the one that worked best for me. Needless to say, I'm a little anxious to move on.

See you on the trail,

Joshua Ganes

No comments: